Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Deductive Reasoning: Don't need to be a genius to figure it out!

So after finally figuring out a Sudoku puzzle, what really is all this mumbo jumbo...

Syllogism if you asked me before I read the packet I would have had no idea, so I'm glad after reading it and going over it in class, it became less confusing and much more clearer. A syllogism is a argument or basically the conclusion someone comes to after looking at two premises that support the conclusion in the end. The major premise has to come before the minor premise. The idea is that A=B, B=C, so A=C.

My own example of a syllogism:
All track kids run fast. (major premise)
Jenny is track kid.(minor premise)
Jenny runs fast.(conclusion)


Modus Ponens is one way of saying things so that things come out in a positive way. Instead of placing doubt or a negative feeling it provides a positive feeling when it is being used. It basically means that If X is true, then Y is true. X is true. Therefore Y is true.

My own example of Modus Ponens:
If I have track practice, then I will be home later.

I have track practice.
Therefore I will be home later.


Modus Tollens is like the opposite of Modus Ponens and it is a way of saying things in the negative light. This time, if X is true then Y is true. Y is false. Therefore X is false. The second part is the one that is first mentioned this time.

My example:
If I eat a moldy sandwich, then I will have a stomache.

I don't have a stomache.
Therefore I did not eat the moldy sandwich.

wa la! first post!

No comments:

Post a Comment